Home > Visit us > Centre for Slavonic archaeology

Centre for Slavonic archaeology

Address:
Velehradská třída 537
686 01 Uherské Hradiště
phone: +420 606 033 103

Opening hours, tickets
View the map

St. Cyril and Methodius and the beginnings of Christianity in Moravia

Permanent exhibitions
Read more

Archaeologists from the Moravian Museum and the region of Uherské Hradiště

When the teacher František Myklík saved prehistoric and early medieval finds in the just dug groove for the local railway in Staré Město, in the southern part of the site „Na Špitálkách“, in 1888, he was strongly supported by an old man with abundant white full-beard. The man was Mořic Vilém Trapp (1825-1895), from 1864 curator of the Francis Museum, later Moravian Museum in Brno, a man thanks to whom the Moravian prehistory got gradually into the centre of interest of specialists as well as instructed members of the public of European renown. Trapp not only saved  archaeological material, he also encouraged noblemen to donate items from their private collections to „his“ museum and he even made great effort to prevent the export of cultural treasures of Moravia abroad. He was probably the first curator of the Moravian Museum who showed, at the down of archaeology, great interest in the region of Uherské Hradiště so that he stands at the beginning of the ranks of important museum scientists who devoted their carrier to this region with rich historical past. The most important of them was the archaeologist Vilém Hrubý, former teacher and curator of the Moravian-Slovak Museum, from 1948 to his death in 1985 head of excavations on the territory of Staré Město, long-time head of the Prehistoric department of the Moravian Museum. Many important discoveries are connected with his name – the first one was the uncovering of the first mortar building from the time of Great Moravia, the church in Staré Město „Na Valách“; the next one was the discovery of the Great-Moravian sacral centre on the Sady-Hill in Uherské Hradiště connected with the personality of the archbishop Methodius. V. Hrubý was the author of many exhibitions and presentations of his discoveries, particularly those in the Memorial of Great Moravia in Staré Město. His follower and disciple Luděk Galuška has been continuing the work in the same spirit since 1986 both in the Moravian Museum and on archaeological sites of Staré Město; he is the author or co-author  of many temporary and permanent exhibitions in the region of Uherské Hradiště, e.g. in Staré Město, Uherské Hradiště, Modrá or Ostrožská Nová Ves, prepared in close co-operation with colleagues from the Moravian-Slovak Museum.

The 75 years long era of modern archaeological excavations conducted by the Moravian Museum in Staré Město and other archaeological sites nearby gets a new impulse in the year of the 1150th anniversary of the arrival of the apostles Cyril and Methodius in Moravia. It has been materialized in the „Centre for Slavonic archaeology“, a building that provides – together with the archaeological station in Staré Město – a solid basis for further field and presentation work of the Moravian Museum in the region of Uherské Hradiště.

 
vyrobila www.omegedesign.cz