Forerunner of the today castle in Moravec (Žďár region) was the medieval fort, mentioned in 1347 and belonging to the freemen of Kralice. In the following centuries, several owners possessed successively the domain, e. g. the Pernsteins or Lhotský of Ptení.
In the first half of the 17th century, the family of Magnáš of Moravec had the dilapidated fort replaced with a Late Renaissance castle. In 1825 the then two-storey castle burnt down and was subsequently renewed and modified in the Classicist style. In 1794, the original castle chapel was turned into the Church of Finding and Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The castle is surrounded with a 3 ha large English park with a collection of exotic woody plants founded by Gabriel count Gudenius in the late 19th century. Since 1946 a children´s convalescent home was situated in the castle, in spring 1996 the Moravian Brno took over the building.
The interiors of the castle have been used as museum storerooms, in summer cultural events have been organized in the castle courtyard.
The castle is not normally open to the public.