Moravian Museum > Projects > Comenius´ journeys > Fulnek / Museum of Nový Jičín region / J. A. Comenius Memorial

Fulnek / Museum of Nový Jičín region / J. A. Comenius Memorial

Address:
Museum of Nový Jičín region / J. A. Comenius Memorial 
Sborová 80, 74245 Fulnek

Phone: +420 556 741 015

E-mail: fulnek@muzeumnj.cz

  

www.muzeumnj.cz

The building housing today the Memorial of Jan Amos Comenius is part of the premises of the former Czech Brethren congregation in Fulnek that came into being in 1484. Next to the prayer room there used to be a free school of Czech Brethren, a garden, a cemetery and the house of the administrator. In 1818-1621, J. A. Comenius held this post; after his departure in 1621 the congregation ceased to exist. The subsequent effort of the Capuchin P. Bonaventura during the Recatholisation mission in Fulnek to consecrate the prayer room as a catholic St. Wenceslas Church was unsuccessful. In the second half of the 17th century the church lost his purpose and was turned into a granary, later an aristocratic riding hall. In 1619, the burgher of Fulnek, Eliáš Knurr, bought the building and stated in his testament that it should be turned into a hospital for six poor old men. St. Wilgeforta-Chapel was anew consecrated in 1706. The building served its new purpose until the first third of the 20th century. The current permanent exhibition was opened in 1992 on the occasion of the 400th birthday of J. A. Comenius. 

Photos

 
vyrobila www.omegedesign.cz