Moravian Museum > Projects > Comenius´ journeys > Brandýs nad Orlicí / Memorial room of Jan Amos Comenius

Brandýs nad Orlicí / Memorial room of Jan Amos Comenius

Address:
Memorial room of Jan Amos Comenius
Náměstí Komenského 203
561 12 Brandýs nad Orlicí

 

Phone: +420 465 544 211

E-mail: info@mesto-brandys.cz

 

www.mesto-brandys.cz 

The history of the town is connected to the constitution and expansion of Czech Brethren Church. In 1564 Karel Sen. of Žerotín was born there; in the first quarter of the 17th century he provided an asylum to his protégé J. A. Comenius. The „Teacher of Nations“ came to Brandýs probably in autumn 1622 and left in 1625 or 1626. His stay in Brandýs is connected with two important events: in 1623 he wrote there his – from artistic point of view – most important work Labyrint světa a ráj srdce (Labyrinth of the World and Paradise of the Heart), in 1624 he got married for the second time; his wife Dorota was the daughter of the important Czech Brethren preacher Jan Cyrill. With this marriage he overcame a deep personal crisis due to the loss of the family that he had experienced at the beginning of the period after the Battle on the White Hill. The book of marriage contracts representing the only relic reminding of Comenius´ stay in Brandýs is the most precious document in the Memorial room of Jan Amos Comenius in the town hall.

Photos

 
vyrobila www.omegedesign.cz